What is mirror mode?
In mirror mode, TalkBox contact data mirrors your external member data, ensuring your member records are consistent across both platforms and details such as points balances are correctly merged in communications.
In standard mode, TalkBox uses email addresses and mobile numbers to determine whether contacts are unique. (If someone signs up to a database with two different email addresses, he/she is treated as two unique contacts in TalkBox.)
In mirror mode, TalkBox uses an external member ID provided by your member management system to identify contacts. This can be beneficial if your system allows members to share contact details (e.g. Bob and Janice share the email address email@example.com; in mirror mode Bob and Janice are recognised as two unique contacts).
Mirror mode can be implemented when TalkBox has an integration with your member management system; it's most commonly used with member loyalty and gaming systems.
If you're using TalkBox in mirror mode, it is important that the IDs coming from your member management system are unique. If your system does not enforce uniqueness of member IDs or allows IDs to be reused you will not be able to use TalkBox in mirror mode.
Note: not sure which membership system ID your TalkBox account uses? Click here to find out.
Requirements for mirror mode
In order to use TalkBox in mirror mode you must:
- Have an operational requirement for TalkBox to reflect your external membership system.
- Intend to use TalkBox only for communications to members in your external membership system.
- Have an automated integration with the external membership system supplying the member data.
Limitations of mirror mode
The key limitations of mirror mode are:
- All TalkBox contacts must originate from your membership system. You cannot upload other marketing lists to your TalkBox account or allow contacts to sign up via TalkBox forms; any contact updates made through TalkBox may be overwritten when the next data integration takes place.
- Contacts must have an external ID from your membership system in order to receive communications; this includes contacts receiving test messages.
- Contacts who share an email address or mobile number may receive a communication more than once if they're both eligible to receive it.
- Contacts without an email address or mobile number will be added to your TalkBox database via the automated integration, but you won't be able to communicate with them until their contact details have been added in your member management system.
Best practice in mirror mode
In mirror mode contacts are managed using the external member ID imported from your system. It is important that contacts are only added to TalkBox via the automated integration with your system.
Incorrect data handling in mirror mode can cause issues with your data integration and a potential loss of contact data in TalkBox.
When using TalkBox in mirror mode:
- Do not add contacts from any other data source and do not create ID numbers in order to manually add contacts.
- Use your external membership management system to update member details, such as email address, mobile number and date of birth.
- Use TalkBox to tag contacts (see Mirror mode: uploading & tagging contacts and Mirror mode: using forms to gather data for details).
If you currently use mirror mode and have any questions or are interested in switching your TalkBox account to mirror mode please contact our support team.