Step 1: Format Your Data Prior to Upload
- Populate the first row of your Excel spreadsheet with the field names. For example ‘First Name’, ‘Email’, ‘Mobile’, etc.
- Ensure there are no gaps between columns.
- Ensure there are no unusual characters in the spreadsheet, especially in the header row. Symbols such as \ / : * ? < >| $ can cause errors in processing.
- Remove spaces from mobile telephone numbers. A quick way to do this is to select the column, click 'find and replace', enter a 'space' into the search field and leave the 'Replace' field blank (no spaces). Click ‘Replace All’.
- Remove extra formatting, such as colours, bold, mailto: (when Excel creates a link on an email.) These can also cause errors in processing.
- Use one sheet only. The TalkBox uploader doesn't read multiple sheets.
- Save the file in CSV (MS-DOS) file format.
Step 2: Upload Your File
- Navigate to ‘Upload Contacts’, located on your dashboard.
- Select ‘Browse for file’ to select your file and then click the ‘Begin upload process’ button.
Step 3: Tag Your Contacts
After upload you can tag your contacts. Tagging your contacts makes it easier to track them, and allows you to send to these contacts. You can find out more by reading the article 'Tagging Contacts'.
Step 4: Map Your Fields
- Map the columns in your file to match the fields within your database.
- Some fields will automatically be mapped based on similar names, as you can see below.
If the names are different or the field hasn't already been set up in your account, the field will require manual mapping.
To map manually:
- Click the ‘Match to’ button.
- Select ‘New Field ...’
- Name your field.
- Select a field type.
- Click 'Done'.
- Once all fields are mapped click the 'Continue' button.
Step 5: Process Your Upload
While the file is being processed, the image below should appear. You can navigate away from this page.
This stage will take between minutes and hours depending on the size of your database. If you want to check later, you can follow the initial navigate and you'll be able to see your upload and its status under the Current/Past Uploads list.